If you own a local business, and you need to know Local SEO ranking factors to rank your local business on a Google Local listing. This guide will help you lot, yes it is exclusively for a local business owner who want to list their company on the map and in the local listing.
Local SEO Ranking Factors List
There are a lot of different from Local SEO and your general SEO campaign. And your business is rank on the local listing depending on the following Local SEO ranking factors.
- My Business Signals
- External Local Signals
- On-page Signals
- Link Signals
- Review Signals
- Social Signals
- Behavioral & Mobile Signals
Image Source: Moz
The above chart shows the various list of Local SEO Ranking Factors.
How To Rank Your Local Business
Before you go ahead and start optimizing your website. There is some guideline to be followed to get listed on the local pack or 3 pack or snack pack.
To rank on local pack listings, you need to focus on local (Name, Address and phone number) NAP citations, local reviews and My Business signals, and then you can concentrate on link building.
Google My Business Ranking
Create a Google my business page. If you don’t, have one.
Once you have created my business page. Check whether you include this following details.
- Choose the correct category for you business.
- Upload high-resolution photos to your my business page that includes (profile picture, Logo, cover and others).
- Add a unique and lengthy description then add your link to this description.
- Add your phone number and address what you have on your website and local directories.
- Add your operation time.
- Get reviews from you customers.
NAP (Name, Address, Phone Number)
NAP are added to your site using Schema Makeup. Which helps search engine to get all the details for the local search result.
<div itemscope itemtype="http://schema.org/LocalBusiness"> <p itemprop="name">BUSINESS NAME</p> <p itemprop="address" itemscope itemtype="http://schema.org/PostalAddress"> <p itemprop="streetAddress">ADDRESS</p> <p itemprop="addressLocality">CITY</p>, <p itemprop="addressRegion">REGION</p> <p itemprop="postalCode">POSTCODE/ZIPCODE</p. <p itemprop="telephone">PHONE NUMBER</p> <meta itemprop="latitude" content="LATITUDE" /> <meta itemprop="longitude" content="LONGITUDE" /> </div>
Use the above code and change this following words (COMPANY NAME, ADDRESS, CITY, REGION, POSTCODE/ZIPCODE, PHONE NUMBER, LATITUDE, and LONGITUDE) to your company details and add it to every page.
The local studies are most important in Local SEO ranking factors. Reviews also give the direct impact for ranking. Having negative review will decrease your listing position, so its good to get positive reviews for better business listing.
Having excellent Google review for your, my business page help you to rank in Google map. And also focus on Yelp and other local directories. Apple map uses Yelp for reviews.
On-Page Optimization for Local SEO
Optimizing your website for local SEO is slightly different from average SEO. Optimizing on-page is same, but you need to add your city/region with your on-page technique. Which listed here
- Title tag -add a relevant keyword with city/region in it.
- H1 tag -add a relevant keyword with city/region in it.
- URL -add a relevant keyword with city/region in it.
- Content -add a relevant keyword with city/region in it.
- ALT tag -add the relevant keyword with city/region in it.
- Embed you google map with map marker in you website.
External Local Signal
Add listing to third-party local business directories to build Citation.
“A citation is an link to your (NAP)name, address and phone number.”
Use competitive link tool like Ahrefs, Majestic or Open Site Explorer to find citations of your competitor website have gained.
As you see in the above chart, social signals give 5.8% of ranking factor. So it is good to focus on increasing google+ authority, facebook likes, and twitter followers, etc.
Behavioral and mobile signal
Click Through Rate (CTR) from Search engine is also a factor for ranking for local listing. But to get high CTR you need to get in the first position in SERP. MOZ has an experience in SERP of an article got ranked in first place within 3 hours with 13 retweets and 12 favorites.
To Improve your SERP CTR, try the following:
- Make your title tag and meta description relevant to Keyword.
- Reviews help you to increase your CTR.
- Use social media like Twitter, Facebook, Google+ to increase CTR and make test your result by focusing on single social media and check its effect.
Link building helps you to improve your keyword ranking. Before you creating the links, building link checks these following things
- Link from a relevant site.
- Link from high authority website.
- Link quality
Negative factors for Local SEO ranking
I have also listened to the negative ranking factor for Google my business that affect your Local SEO Ranking.
Image Source: Moz